The Farm was built in 1742 ( this is not a misprint!) and has lots of history about it. The house has hand hew chestnut beams and 22” wide pine floor boards. The house once had a bee-hive fire place that is now our bathrooms. We hope to one day restore them. We have installed new windows, fixed the foundation, insulated, new septic tank and installed in out door wood boiler for our heat and hot water. We burn about 20 cords a wood a year!
The farm originally had 5 barns, the biggest barn we had to remove and in its place we are putting up a Solar Star greenhouse. It is 28′ x 48′ foot greenhouse that we will have a farm stand in the front that we will have opened for the public. We will have starter plants, and our own fresh grown meat for sale.
The other 4 barns are in need of some major repairs. Our hay barn is being supported by a 10′ x 10′ x 16′ beam. We are hoping to be able to save it. Our Carriage barn, attached to the house is going to be torn down one of these days and replaced with another barn to replicate it. Our other two barns are in pretty good shape. One we use as a workshop and the other we can use for various uses, the end just needs to be closed in. ( our girls would like to make it into a horse barn!) We’ll see….